Wednesday 12 March 2014

.miss you like crazy.

sometimes it’s expected.
usually i have more days like this in may.
it’s her day of birth,
mothers day…
i pull out all the journals,
memory books,
photographs,
and just like to sit and think about
everything that’s happened since
now and then.

other times it’s a passing thought,
or comment in conversation.
emotions are under control
with only sweet, lingering nostalgia.

today i was just brushing my teeth,
and thought of something funny
my mom said at family home evening.

we were talking about adam and eve
and she had the hypothesis that
the tree of knowledge of good and evil
was a fig tree.
cause adam and eve covered themselves up with
fig leaves afterwards. ha. 
(gotta love those biblical theories).

and then,
out of nowhere,
i felt the water works welling up.

i don’t know if it’s because today marks
exactly 4 years and 3 months since she passed away,
but i sat down for a few minutes
and just let the wave of tears and memories flow.

a few days earlier,
i was talking with my dad in the car
about her.
he said,
“i still miss her like crazy.”

and today i missed her like crazy too.
i miss the way she laughed while watching
her favorite movie, ‘the gods must be crazy’
i miss the way she made me laugh.
(here’s a post with stories from an old blog
i had to write for a class a few years ago).
i miss her political rants.
i miss resting my head on my mom’s shoulder and talking.
i miss listening to “do you know?” by enrique iglesias,
and every time she was so impressed the beat started with a ping pong.
i miss her attention to detail.
i even miss all the unsolicited advice on health and nutrition.

i remember one night hearing my parents having
a somewhat loud "discussion" upstairs and after awhile,
i could hear my mom crying.
i went upstairs and asked,
“is everything okay, mom?”

she smiled at me under the tears,
and said,

“yes, everything is alright.
your dad is just a little discouraged
we’ve been trying so many treatments
and nothing has been getting better.
but i know everything is going to be okay.
i know that because of your faith, liza.
your prayers and positive attitude,
remind me that things will work out for the best.
keep having faith, sweetheart.”

i think of that memory,
and keep trying to hold on to the faith i had then.
faith that wasn’t conditional upon an outcome.
because even though she did pass away,
and even though it’s been a few years now,
i still sometimes wonder if things will  
work out without her.

but they have,
and will continue to.
and even though there’s days like this
where i miss her like crazy,
i know there’s more memories to make ahead
than those we've left behind.




6 comments:

  1. This is all of the good things. Your Mom sounds like a great lady and she raised a stellar daughter. Also I adore this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy showed me this link tonight, after he saw that you posted it on Facebook. This is a sweet tribute to Mom. I think that through writing these types of posts you are continuing to make memories with Mom, as well. I feel like I've still made memories with Mom over the past few years, whenever I encounter something that she might like or enjoy. I can almost hear her laughing along with me, particularly if I'm giving a horsey, Folsom-ey laugh myself!

    Love, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Eliza. I know your mom is so proud of you and the things you have done these past 4 years. You are a great example of living faith.
    This is really Janet, but I'm sure Brad would agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to admit that this post made me bawl my eyes out, but it certainly is a lovely memorial. I love hearing about your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss your mom like crazy too. Love that sweet lady! . . . this post made me think of my own mom, and it made me cry. I need to hug her more often. I need to better appreciate all the little things she does for me. I don't know what I would do without her. . .love a little deeper, you never know how much time you have left!

    ReplyDelete